Feeling Hot! Hot! Hot!

...and I'm not talking about the weather.

Sometimes a good idea goes bad and there's nothing you can do about it. Okay, fine. It was totally preventable. How about this: Sometimes a good idea goes a little too far because you should've scaled down a bit, but it's really hard to pull back the reins on a good idea. Happy?

Before: 40th Birthday Vegas cake
Vanilla cake; Vanilla buttercream

It started off innocently enough: a simple, Vegas-themed 40th birthday cake. We thought it would be really cool to put 40 candles around the cake (go ahead. count them.) so that when they were lit, it would look like the bulbs that go around the Vegas sign.


Pretty cool, right?

It looked pretty cool while I was lighting all the candles. This was, of course, until I realized how quickly the candles were burning and how slowly everyone was singing Happy Birthday. (I mean, seriously, it's supposed to be a happy song so why do we sing it like a dirge?) I picked up the pace a little (Okay, you caught me again. I sang it so fast we probably sounded like Alvin and the Chipmunks.) and blew out most of the candles myself because THE CAKE WAS ON FIRE.


Aftermath of the Vegas Cake: A melty mess

Here's the good news: We used marshmallow fondant so the room smelled like a warm, summer campfire. And hey, at least the melted wax landed on the cake board instead of the cake, right? Bad news: the birthday girl didn't have time to make a wish.


Next time, I'm bringing a fire extinguisher.

Comments