It's like a scavenger hunt for grown-ups

Geocache Cake
Chocolate, Rice Krispie, Vanilla


To most of you, the cake above probably made you say something like, "Huh? What were they thinking?" To a sub-population of people known as geocachers, however, this cake is perfectly clear. My little sister, Melody, is one of these people and all she wanted for her birthday was a geocaching cake. When she goes on these adventures, Melody (aka FastyCheetah) and her aunt (LuckyDucky) take two things along with them : a Garmin handheld GPS and an iPod with cache coordinates on it.

Treasure Cache
Rice Krispie cake

The "wooden" Rice Krispie treasure cache was a huge hit with all the kids at Melody's birthday party. They fought over who ate the most "money" while the adults marveled at how much time it took to cut and paint each coin individually - props to Sydney. (Personally, I liked the fabulous jewels lying with the money.)

iPod Cake
Yellow Cake

The iPod cake was my favorite part of the geocaching cake. I don't know about you, but when I got my iPod a few years ago, it went everywhere with me - it was practically another appendage - so this was a particularly fun project. The sides of the iPod were painted with edible metallic food coloring and looked pretty sweet (pun intended) in the light.

Beam me up, Scotty.

Comments